Some skis are made with a metal sheet inside, or have a hard insert in the core, these skis generally require you tap the screw holes prior to mounting bindings. This tap has a thread pitch that matches that of an Alpine ski binding screw.
- Using a tap handle allows a good grip on the tap and help insure that you thread it in straight.
- Tap slowly, when you feel the tap touch the bottom of the hole back stop and back it out slowly.
- When inserting screws be sure not to over tighten them to avoid stripping the hole.
- Always defer to the ski or binding manufacturer recommendations.
- Requires a #0-1/4" tap handle (sold separately).
- Sold each.
18 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
It does just what it's suppose to. I used it to mount up a pair of axl tele bindings and it has the proper threading.
I used the tap for mounting an alpine-binding! It made a sharp, clear cut which gave the screw the best grip in the first two tuns. This lowers the risk of delaminating the ski. Nice tool!!
Quality tap, worked great.
The is a must have if you mount bindings on skis with metal. I use it with all the bindings I mount. The AB is for alpine. Tele bindings usually use a different tap.
Tap worked great.
I've only used it for one pair of skis, but it did the job.
Product works great - love it!
wicked sharp, and clears well
Not much to say other than this tap works as you'd expect a tap to work. I've now got a working set of Volant stainless steel skis for the season.