- Some skis are made with a metal sheet inside, or have a hard insert in the core so that you need to tap screw holes before mounting bindings.
- Use the #12 AB tap to thread these binding holes on skis with a hidden top metal sheet (common on GS race skis) or whenever recommended by the ski manufacturer.
- Using a tap handle allows a good grip on the tap and help insure that you thread it in straight.
- Tap slowly, when you feel the tap touch the bottom of the hole back stop and back it out slowly.
- When inserting screws be sure not to over tighten them to avoid stripping the hole.
17 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
The 12Ab Ski Tap is essential for getting clean, perfect threads after drilling your skis. I wouldn't think about mounting ski bindings without it.
Does its job fine. I especially appreciated it other purpose of doubling as a more than adequate center punch for marking screw hole centers.
You only need to tap the top part of the hole through the top plate of the ski. I made the mistake of tapping the entire depth of the hole, which basically stripped out the hole. The binding screw then just spun around in the hole and wouldn't tighten.
Some instructions would have been helpful for a newby like me.
Used it to mount 22Designs Vice bindings. Threads matched right up for a solid mount. A little pricey for a tap but ehh whatever. It's a must for metal top sheets.
No more "spinner" screws. Great product.
This tap is good quality, but its threads per inch are not the same as my ( standard nordic ) binding screws.
Works as intended and recommended when mounting on metal topsheets. Seems overkill just to tap the thin metal top sheet. if they made a self-tapping screw I'd just reuse it to cut the threads before mounting the bindings with the proper screws. Mounted 22 Design Vice telemark bindings with this tap.
I didn't use a tap handle, just a small crescent wrench readily available in my toolbox while carefully holding the tap vertical. A drill or tap guide/block like the Big Gator Tools would make it even easier.
To pierce/tap/avoid topsheet pullup of metal insert and topsheet skis
It does just what it's suppose to. I used it to mount up a pair of axl tele bindings and it has the proper threading.